I like not only to be loved, but also to be told I am loved." -- George Eliot
Many Chinese people regard it as the most romantic coincidence that Chinese Lantern Festival falls on the same day with St. Valentine's Day on Feb. 14 this year. Both Chinese Lantern Festival and its western prototype originated from religious beliefs, and then became secular in later ages.
The Chinese Lantern Festival was not romantic at all when it was first set until it was more and more popular with exciting lantern displays and many other jolly activities. The Chinese Lantern Festival became an opportunity for unmarried people to meet their potential lovers – that is why some would call it "Chinese Valentine's Day".
Here are 10 creative ways to tell him or her "I love you" on this special occasion.
1. After enjoying a candlelight dinner at home, give your loved one a massage and watch a romantic movie.
2. Give your loved one a dozen roses, or a rose with seven colors.
3. Order food from a take-out restaurant and have a picnic for all the Valentines in your family on the floor of your living room.
4. Write a poem for your loved one on the chocolate.
5. Fill a jar with Valentine candies and notes for your loved one.
6. If you are separated, send a present you made.
7. Create an intimate Valentine's Day evening at home, planning the menu, shopping for the meal, and ultimately preparing the meal together.
8. Make a special list of "Reasons why I Love You".
9. Surprise your loved one with a special getaway together.
10. Give your loved one a mirror, and write "Mirror tells you who the prettiest woman is in the world."